1992-10-14 - Integrated privacy…

Header Data

From: Tom.Jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Tom Jennings)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1eea0ede39035ff4b7e883851446a69768d6e4f5d546d0a5b37182f47cce4f4e
Message ID: <2931.2ADB225F@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 19:52:16 PDT

Raw message

From: Tom.Jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Tom Jennings)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 19:52:16 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Integrated privacy...

 U> Absolutely.  The most crying need now, IMO, is to better
 U> integrate the cryptographic tools into mail readers and
 U> senders, so that it's not such a pain to use these things.
 U>  People should be able to give a single command or press a
 U> button to decrypt an incoming message or encrypt an
 U> outgoing one.

I just completed (well, it's in "beta") a mail-reader package for
MSDOS and FidoNet. It does "rm" type stuff, and has PGP integrated
reawonably well. Single character commands to decrypt, encrypt, sign,
or encrypt/sign. It furnishes the distributed PGP.EXE program with
it's imput (deriving it from the message itself). It'll extract keys
from messages, and all that.

It's MSDOS and .MSG-type FidoNet message base oriented, but it does
all it's work in pure ASCII (FidoNet .MSG files are mixed binary and
text). It is intentionally "RFC-822 like", and will become fully
RFC-822 "soon".

I was reasonably careful regarding de-cyphered plaintext laying about
on disk, etc. It's available via Wazoo filerequest as magicname RM.
(That's probably as obscure to you as FTP is to FidoNet.)

It will be released as "copyleft" with all sources. Binaries only
this week til I get it shaken down.

 * Origin: World Power Systems / FidoNews / San Francisco CA (1:125/111)
--
Tom Jennings - via FidoNet node 1:125/555
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!kumr!fidogate!111!Tom.Jennings

Thread