1992-10-14 - Game items…

Header Data

From: Hal <74076.1041@CompuServe.COM>
To: CYPHERPUNKS <CYPHERPUNKS@TOAD.COM>
Message Hash: 2f6d5e1afd06d6ab7efd62ee0ef4f4e446d648d9648b1a1bcdca947107a33d2f
Message ID: <92101415192274076.1041_DHJ62-1@CompuServe.COM>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1992-10-14 15:27:57 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Oct 92 08:27:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Hal <74076.1041@CompuServe.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 92 08:27:57 PDT
To: CYPHERPUNKS <CYPHERPUNKS@TOAD.COM>
Subject: Game items...

I'm trying to think in terms of things which were illegal but
which have good moral connotations today.

Crosses and other Christian symbols were supposedly outlawed
during the Roman empire (leading to the adoption of the fish
as a symbol of Christianity).  Posing as early Christians smuggling
crosses ought to make the right-wingers happy!

Abolitionists had to smuggle runaway slaves out of the South
on the so-called "underground railroad".  Perhaps cryptography
would have helped them coordinate their efforts.

Much of the support in the U.S. for freedom and privacy comes from
our revolutionary heritage.  I'm embarrassed at how little I can
recall of what things were restricted in those pre-revolutionary
days.  I recall the Stamp Act and a few other laws, and I imagine
that seditious materials were restricted.  Perhaps the game players
could be early revolutionaries trading items forbidden under British
rule.

Hal Finney - 74076.1041@Compuserve.Com

Thread