1992-10-25 - multiple message destinations

Header Data

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
To: tribble@xanadu.com
Message Hash: 3c0b89761b1e93b00c3291ea3746200f0ab0e7b9873b929b14418acaffd7958c
Message ID: <9210250201.AA07719@newsu.shearson.com>
Reply To: <9210231806.AA12129@xanadu.xanadu.com>
UTC Datetime: 1992-10-25 02:34:56 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Oct 92 19:34:56 PDT

Raw message

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 92 19:34:56 PDT
To: tribble@xanadu.com
Subject: multiple message destinations

>From: tribble@xanadu.com (E. Dean Tribble)

>Mail typically wants to get sent to multiple receivers, all with
>different private keys.  I vaguely recall that the way PGP works is it
>generates a symetric cypher key and encrypts the message with that,
>then encrypts the generated key with the public key of the intended
>receiver.   Is that how it works?

>Given that, it should be straightforward (and maybe it already does)
>encrypt the generated key with several public keys so you get one
>package that can be unsealed by any of several different receivers.

Yes, that should work. PGP doesn't do it, but it would be
straightforward to change it so it could.

Perry

Thread