1992-10-20 - Re: Keystone

Header Data

From: fnordbox!loydb@cs.utexas.edu (Loyd Blankenship)
To: soda.berkeley.edu!hughes@cs.utexas.edu
Message Hash: 503c3b8d260c9d277fec543d1511e53afe6d139974194bbc24df6f7f32462d72
Message ID: <9210201753.AA009kv@fnordbox.UUCP>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Oct 92 14:43:30 PDT

Raw message

From: fnordbox!loydb@cs.utexas.edu (Loyd Blankenship)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 92 14:43:30 PDT
To: soda.berkeley.edu!hughes@cs.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: Keystone

:I would be hesitant to implement a system that _only_ required a user
:to generate a key pair.  This, for the users, is too much provided
:privacy.  It will not teach the users how privacy really works, nor
:will it give them any good idea how their privacy is being maintained.

I take the opposite view -- I dare *not* supply such a system. Any user that
is interested enough in 100% privacy will be encouraged -- both from the
email prompt and through the message bases/file areas -- to d/l a copy of
PGP. I'll probably write a tutorial on using it as well.

But many users do not have the interest/time/ability to set up PGP on their
home system. For them, I want to provide the best possible privacy given the
ease with which anyone who can find their local LMOS can tap (voice or data)
a line...

:Defended privacy does not need to be difficult.  I would spend effort,
:instead of modifying BBS software, to make it easier for users to
:handle encrypted email with their own terminal programs.

I don't have my user's terminal program -- I *do* have the bbs software.

:Again, trusted systems can turn into provided privacy.  If there is a
:distributed solution you can think up, use it.

I don't know any way to maintain an up-to-date, central keyring without
someone being in charge of regular updates. I'd make it available via
Fido, FTP, BMS and regular d/l.

Loyd

* loydb@fnordbox.UUCP	     Once you pull the pin,  *	Loyd Blankenship  *
* GEnie: SJGAMES	    Mr. Grenade is no longer *	PO Box 18957	  *
* Compu$erve: [73407,515]	 your friend!	     *	Austin, TX 78760  *
* cs.utexas.edu!dogface!fnordbox!loydb		     *	512/447-7866	  *