1992-10-27 - re: Re: Registering Keys with Big Brother

Header Data

From: Tom.Jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Tom Jennings)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f0bc769f3f56b7fe28f343790ae4590db417ba09fac05885774d6beebc71210b
Message ID: <3329.2AECDB78@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 07:10:21 PPE

Raw message

From: Tom.Jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Tom Jennings)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 07:10:21 PPE
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: Re: Registering Keys with Big Brother

 U> From: efrem@spitha.informix.com (Efrem Lipkin)
 U> It seems that registration would defeat the advantage
 U> of a public key system, but it would not prevent private
 U> encrypted messages from being hidden from casual traffic
 U> analysis or even notice by public key wrapping.

(Hi Efrem!)

Yes but. The ole "chilling effect". Everyone talks about ENCRYPTION
and SECURITY, what I want is PRIVACY.

You can have privacy today, but if you have to sneak around, if
privacy is not the background assumption, it gravely limits your
ability to live and act freely.

Yes, you will always be able to find co-conspirators, but it would be
a weak version of the world in which we could presume privacy to
begin with.

--- ReadMail
 * Origin: World Power Systems / FidoNews / San Francisco CA (1:125/111)
--
Tom Jennings - via FidoNet node 1:125/555
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!kumr!fidogate!111!Tom.Jennings

Thread