1992-11-29 - Re: Electronic Banking

Header Data

From: Eric Hollander <hh@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: “George A. Gleason” <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
Message Hash: 0817822df8842484bd4ece4602550d17b009f97c2cd9835c627bd7b51df43d47
Message ID: <9211290158.AA22750@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <199211261116.AA24529@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1992-11-29 01:59:17 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Nov 92 17:59:17 PST

Raw message

From: Eric Hollander <hh@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 92 17:59:17 PST
To: "George A. Gleason" <gg@well.sf.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Electronic Banking

I think we should set up a digital money system, and just take the legal
risks.  I volunteer.

On a related note, I noticed an article on electronic money in a recent
issue of _the_Futurist_.  It kept on coming back to the big advantage of
cryptomoney:  it is completely traceable.  The main point was that
cryptomoney would eliminate black marketeering (including the drug trade).
The author said it would be wonderful for the federal government to run this
new system, for several reasons.  First, it would allow them to monitor all
activity, so there could be no tax evasion or black marketeering.  Second,
we would all be safe knowing that the government kept the information
confidential, so it couldn't be used imporoperly.

This was a scary article.