1992-11-27 - More cypher bank

Header Data

From: donb@netcom.com (Don Bellenger)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2eef8e7ef9cf3ef71fafea34e4c8c0c7b3f9b1244c1606a2e5f80bfda09c7b56
Message ID: <9211272129.AA26164@netcom2.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Nov 92 13:33:24 PST

Raw message

From: donb@netcom.com (Don Bellenger)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 92 13:33:24 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: More cypher bank

No one else's account would be disclosed except to the owner.
Handle, hash, or the full key itself is all the same.
The point is that some shortened identifer is needed.
This is not a technical matter, the customer can cook up anything
he wants,  There is no relation to the mechanics of PGP,
I don't want to bother scanning in and verifying long
strings of codes, and I need some short I.D.  so the owner can identify
his balance for verification (checking balances).
There are obviously plenty of fancy variations
on this, and I would be happy to set up whatever any body wants.
Maybe the easiest way is to setup mail addresses for each
depositor of the form:  handle_of_depositor@digibank.com.  So send signed
email to that address, and I will respond with your
balance.  A couple of other addressees would be used for overall bank
status report, and current operating rules.

The digital cash account is represented by the escrow balance.  If Sam
wants me to take his collected funds and turn them into digi-cash, I can
sign a voucher that I have segregated X amount of Sam's money into an
escrow account pending receipt of the digi-cash voucher and instructions
to move the escrow amount elsewhere.  This is all that any bank is going
to do.

Basically, this looks like a very good thing to do.  If handled
properly and within the banking regulations, it could be a great
advance.  Does anybody here remember pre-ATM days?  Standing in
line at the bank to get cash?  In 3rd world countries they don't
even have checking.  This means you have to walk around every month
and pay your bills in cash.

I haven't been in a bank in years since the ATMs came in.
And this is at another, much higher level of abstraction.