1992-11-12 - My responses regarding random generator.

Header Data

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
To: crunch@netcom.com
Message Hash: c0c75d424a810b37b0a4d7fc1967308de0a9293b25626d6862af33d87031ca51
Message ID: <9211121612.AA03658@newsu.shearson.com>
Reply To: <9211112152.AA24329@netcom2.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1992-11-12 16:38:19 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Nov 92 08:38:19 PST

Raw message

From: pmetzger@shearson.com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 92 08:38:19 PST
To: crunch@netcom.com
Subject: My responses regarding random generator.

>From: crunch@netcom.com (John Draper)

>   Then,  there is the speed of generating these random numbers,
>and how we will want to deal with the possibility of inadequate
>speed.     I suspect that serial transmission at 9500 baud might
>be easily obtained,   but going much faster withoug "drift" might
>be problematic as Tim May pointed out.

I'd like to point out that higher data rates are very very desirable.
One would like to be able to cut a pair of CD's for use as one time
pads in a reasonable amount of time -- at 9600 baud its going to take
a LONG time to do. You can always run multiple units in parallel, but
its probably good to get the cost/bitrate ratio as low as possible.

Perry

Thread