1992-12-14 - Re: Random numbers (and big primes, too!)

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1300110d48855aa029c50615ea9a71a1e1aa1c10fbc39fed03948a5b27ce01cd
Message ID: <9212140308.AA00536@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 13 Dec 92 19:08:48 PST

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 92 19:08:48 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Random numbers (and big primes, too!)

Timothy May writes:
> Announcing a New Service: "Primes 'r Us"
> Your full-service crypto dealer.
> -specializing in selling large primes to those gullible enough to use them

Actually, I may decide to talk my wife into running such a service.
It will have at least one customer (me), and any more who want to buy primes
or key pairs, given the level of trust we can provide (moderate, but...).

Why, you ask?  Well, she's about to buy a new computer for her business,
as well as personal use, and the amount you can depreciate or expense depends
on the percentage of time you've used the machine for business.
Calculating primes can take a *large* percentage of your idle time,
and what matters for tax purposes are the percentages and whether you do or
don't make a profit for the year, not *which* activities of the same business
are profitable...
			Signed, Pat Pending

P.S. Yeah, I know, now that I've told you guys the secret, the bottom will
drop out of the market because you can generate primes faster on your Cray
than we can on a 386.  Sigh....

Thread