1992-12-21 - PKP/RSA comments on PGP legality

Header Data

From: Bruce F. Webster <pages!bwebster@uunet.UU.NET>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2c04576545973162337525081791a5e8cbcdb508631c34ef4eaac1948969a978
Message ID: <9212211904.AA15552@pages.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Dec 92 11:30:02 PST

Raw message

From: Bruce F. Webster <pages!bwebster@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 92 11:30:02 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PKP/RSA comments on PGP legality

(Cross-posted with permission of Eben Moglen):

Newsgroups: sci.crypt,alt.security.pgp
From: em21@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Eben Moglen)
Subject:  Re: PKP/RSA comments on PGP legality
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1992 15:04:09 GMT

I have been following with interest, and distress, the conversation
about legal risks in using PGP set off by Carl Ellison's posting of
a document said to reflect the legal position of PKP.  Perhaps a
Columbia Law professor's views on these questions may be helpful.
I'm going to discuss the realities of the situation, without jargon,
rather than the legal technicalities.  Those who want to discuss the
legal detail should feel free to contact me, but for legal advice I
usually get paid.

PKP says that any user of PGP is "inducing" infringement.  Here's the
reality of the situation.  PKP is the licensee of a presumptively
valid US patent, which it claims PGP 2.1 infringes.  If the patent is
valid, and PGP infringes, every user is not just inducing
infringement--he/she/it is infringing the patent.  This is not a
crime; it's a civil wrong, for which, as the PKP statement says,
damages are available at law.  But this is true every time a
manufacturer sells or distributes an infringing article.  As you may
recall, for example, an inventor recently won an enormous damages
judgment against a major US auto company for infringing his patent
for intermittent windshield wipers.  Theoretically, under the patent
law, he could instead have notified all Ford buyers in the past
decade that they were personally infringing his patent.  But it is
grossly impracticable to do that, and a suit against the manufacturer
accomplishes exactly the same result, since the total amount of the
damages available is the same either way, while the litigation cost
is not.  PKP can test the validity of its patent and recover its
damages, if any, in a suit against the developers and distributors of
PGP, if it cares to.  Without any knowledge of their thinking, I
predict the partners won't want to do that.  It would be expensive,
the damages to be recovered would be slight or none, and they would
risk having the only patent anywhere in the world protecting their
technology declared invalid.  But in any event, it is virtually
unheard-of to sue individual end-use consumers of allegedly
infringing technology.  If PKP's investors had $100 million or so
they wanted to waste in litigation anything could happen, but they
don't, and it won't.

In any event, in such a situation a lawyer certainly might advise her
client to wait for the patent-holder to assert his rights directly.

When PKP sends you a personal letter claiming that you are infringing
its patent, and asking you to take out a license, you can decide what
you want to do about it.  In the meanwhile, the patent claim against
end users is mostly, probably entirely, just noise.

The Munitions Act bluster contained in the post is not even that
important.  It's just ridiculous.  Others have said some of the most
important things well, so I'll be brief.  First, even if PKP believes
its own arguments interpreting the ITARs, PKP doesn't have squat to
do with ITAR enforcement.  This is a question addressed to the
discretion of the Treasury, the Department of Justice, and local
United States Attorneys.  ITAR enforcement against distributors of
PGP would require a decision by all those agencies that the
highest-priority Munitions Act enforcement problem at some future
moment is the prohibition of IMPORTATION of a CONSUMER SOFTWARE
PRODUCT embodying TECHNICAL INFORMATION IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.  I
challenge PKP, or anyone else, to show any past example of such an
approach to ITAR enforcement by any Administration.  I cannot myself
imagine any United States Attorney's office wanting to bring such a
case, which is of nightmarish complexity, would be politically
unpopular, and does nothing whatever to stem the global arms trade or
increase the national security of the US.  I very much doubt that PKP
really believes that the domestic circulation of PGP violates the
ITARs, since PKP itself terms as "unfortunate" the application of the
Munitions Act to cryptographic technology.  But even if that's really
what PKP or its officers think, so what?  The chances that the United
States Government will ever agree, and put weight behind agreement,
are within fuzz of zero.

UseNet serves many social purposes.  One, apparently, is the no-cost
distribution of negative advertising and legal chest-pounding,
intended to frighten people away from experimentation with a piece of
interesting freeware.  Myself, I would just put the PKP temper
tantrum in the bitbucket.  But since other people have taken it
seriously (much more seriously than it deserves) I thought a few more
sober comments might be warranted.
Fiat Justitia,         "Quoi que vous fassiez, ecrasez l'infame,
ruat Coelum.                           et aimez qui vous aime."
Eben Moglen                       voice: 212-854-8382
Professor of Law & Legal History    fax: 212-854-7946
Columbia Law School, 435 West 116th Street, NYC 10027
moglen@lawmail.columbia.edu