1992-12-08 - Captain Midnight returns?

Header Data

From: gnu (John Gilmore)
To: fnerd@smds.com (FutureNerd Steve Witham)
Message Hash: 2d98e90269c90b33164b717fe4faab77d99d61e8fe13062e368b27cf11672d58
Message ID: <9212081331.AA15358@toad.com>
Reply To: <9212032155.AB19933@smds.com>
UTC Datetime: 1992-12-08 13:31:54 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Dec 92 05:31:54 PST

Raw message

From: gnu (John Gilmore)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 92 05:31:54 PST
To: fnerd@smds.com (FutureNerd Steve Witham)
Subject: Captain Midnight returns?

> ...put it on your crypto feature ring.  Has a sort of futuristic ring to it.

Hmm, perhaps we should eventually build real Captain Midnight Decoder
Rings, which would fit around your finger.  When the face of the ring
was inserted into a DIN-plug serial port, it would power up, and talk a
serial protocol to do the crypto operations needed to sign and decrypt
messages, a la Phil Karn's design.  There are smart-card microcontrollers
with most or all of the right features -- we'd just have to figure out how
to pot one into a ring with a truncated DIN-plug.

	John

Thread