1992-12-15 - Re: Remailers.

Header Data

From: Marc.Ringuette@GS80.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3778adc10fbeb4a7191d06cdfabcfe8a6d15d4ea10d39112e9c089050f79f349
Message ID: <9212150304.AA06890@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Dec 92 19:04:59 PST

Raw message

From: Marc.Ringuette@GS80.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 92 19:04:59 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Remailers.

> It relies on there being at least one operator who won't reveal
> his logs.  If one of your bounces happens to be through your own
> remailer, you can guarantee this.

Let's be clear on exactly how useful it is to route your messages
through your own remailer.  It's not as useful as it first appears.

If the Awful Nasties convince all of the remailers downstream of yours
to give up their logs, they trace the message back to your machine.
You then might choose to say, "Hey man, it wasn't my message, it was
just my remailer.  And I'm not giving you the logs."

But if you're going to use this excuse, you needn't really have routed
your message through your remailer at all; you just need to be operating
a remailer and routinely refuse to divulge its logs.

-- Marc Ringuette (mnr@cs.cmu.edu)

Thread