1992-12-10 - MEETING: Cypherpunks UK (Sunday)

Header Data

From: whitaker@eternity.demon.co.uk (Russell E. Whitaker)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8b2b34d750de447d7619eadf2e56bb7f6da3cdfec432c5424f99fad2d7ea82af
Message ID: <6042@eternity.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 15:12:06 PST

Raw message

From: whitaker@eternity.demon.co.uk (Russell E. Whitaker)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 15:12:06 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: MEETING: Cypherpunks UK (Sunday)

Announcing - on incredibly short notice! - the first meeting of
Cypherpunks UK...

Chris Tame, of FOREST and the Libertarian Alliance, has generously
offered the use of the meeting room at his offices for our gathering,
this Sunday, 13 December 1992, from 1200 onwards (at least until 1800),
at:

  FOREST
  4th Floor
  2 Grosvenor Gardens
  London   SW1W 0DH
  071-823-6550

This is just around the corner from Victoria Station, at the end of the
mansion block near Hobart Place.  There's a dark green cabbie shelter
across the street from the entrance, and some British Telecom payphones.
Can't miss it, really.  However, if you have trouble, call the telephone
number above, or call my pager, on 081-812-2661.

If it helps, we're in the direction of Buckingham Palace, which is
(very) partially visible from our windows.

If you wish to attend, you should bring a 3.5" DOS-formatted diskette
(sorry!  My UN*X machine is an Intergraph workstation, and I can't use
it for crypto) with a copy of your PGP 2.0+ public key.  I'll sign it
there.  Mac users: if you don't have Apple File Exchange (what!?), I'll
be extra nice and take your keys anyway ( ;-)) for AFE conversion on my
IIcx.  Not to fear.

It might not be a bad idea to copy your public key on each of several
diskettes, so you've got a copy to distribute to each of the others.
Don't trust me to copy *your* key to others!  As a matter of fact, as
there are plenty of power points in the meeting room, you should bring your
laptop, and/or a desktop PC:  when someone hands you a disk-with-key,
you can sign her key, and hand her back her diskette, with your own
pubkey added.

Otherwise, we might come close to a (n(n-1))/2 situation... ;-)

This should be a lively meeting.  Among the topics likely to be
discussed are:

  o   The proliferation of PGP public keys in the U.K.
  o   The local development of anonymous remailers and a proposed
        automatic public key repository
  o   Electronic networking/email security for the novice
  o   Pro-active proliferation of PGP 2.1+ to interesting European,
        African, and Asian sites
        -  ftp placement
        -  BBS distribution
        -  sneakernet across borders

.. and much more!

Mark Turner, from Demon Internet Systems, is likely to be on hand to
demo DIS for non-DIS users.  We've set up our own local, high-quality
newsgroups:
         demon.security
         demon.security.keys

and set up the /pub/ibmpc/pgp archives on gate.demon.co.uk (expanding
recently to include all versions of PGP, and "fellow traveller" files).

There will be other people here whom I think you will find
interesting...  be seeing you!

Semper vigilans,

Russell Earl Whitaker                   whitaker@eternity.demon.co.uk
Communications Editor                       71750.2413@compuserve.com
EXTROPY: The Journal of Transhumanist Thought         AMiX: RWHITAKER
Board member, Extropy Institute (ExI)
================ PGP 2.0 public key available =======================

Thread