1993-01-24 - Rational PC mail , was Re: PGP on BBS

Header Data

From: pfarrell@cs.gmu.edu (Pat Farrell)
To: marc@MIT.EDU
Message Hash: 144463c282994a3a37f9aeb87b02c632b0e05a7281f943bcb976733a79644cab
Message ID: <9301241935.AA14956@cs.gmu.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 24 Jan 93 11:40:23 PST

Raw message

From: pfarrell@cs.gmu.edu (Pat Farrell)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 93 11:40:23 PST
To: marc@MIT.EDU
Subject: Rational PC mail , was Re: PGP on BBS

 Marc@mit.edu writes:

>What you are all talking about here is a solved problem.  Many such
>network protocols exist.  SLIP is probably the best example.  If you
>use SLIP to connect to the BBS instead of a dumb terminal connection,
>you get a real network link which supports multiple connections to
>multiple destinations.  And free SLIP implementations exist.  The
>author of one of the most popular is on this list, in fact.

It is a solved problem. It doesn't even require SLIP. I spent lots
of hours over the past year trying to get SLIP to work with
the GMU computers. it is officially "not supported"

With NUpop and Eudora, SLIP is optional. The NUpop docs say
that SLIP slows down the transfer, and recommends simple ASCII
async connection using a reliable modem (MNP or V42/V.42bis)

>Of course, this requires that your "terminal" be somewhat intelligent,
>but even a lowly 8088 PC running DOS can run SLIP.
>
>If you do this, all you need is a BBS which supports network services,
>instead of the current menu-based sort of systems we have now.  If you
>want to encrypt, you do so locally.  In fact, you'd probably do almost
>everything locally.

Using a computer as a computer is clearly the way to go. There
are a number of low-cost or free Unix providers, I expect that
they do, or can be talked into supporting POP.

I expect that current terminal/menu based BBSes will disapear
once folks realize how much better easier, faster, and all
around better programs that use computers as computers work.

Pat

Pat Farrell,      Grad Student                       pfarrell@cs.gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
PGP key available via finger or request           #include standard.disclaimer

Thread