1993-01-10 - Re: Cascading aliases

Header Data

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.FI>
To: Hal <74076.1041@compuserve.com>
Message Hash: 154d6583ebe03775dc5163152cfc922a2125a0e4700a9099f2b31e9437fa03a7
Message ID: <9301101022.aa17715@penet.penet.FI>
Reply To: <930109232813_74076.1041_DHJ76-1@CompuServe.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1993-01-10 08:45:29 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Jan 93 00:45:29 PST

Raw message

From: Johan Helsingius <julf@penet.FI>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 93 00:45:29 PST
To: Hal <74076.1041@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Cascading aliases

Hal Finney writes:

> I feel that the main purpose of an anonymous address is to protect the
> anonymity of the person being addressed, not people who send to him.  Just
> because a person chooses to be anonymous is no reason to expect that
> everyone who wants to talk to him also wants to be anonymous.  I think it
> would be better to only provide anonymity when asked.  Systems that do too
> much for people sometimes get in the way.

Well, yeeeeesss... but....

It all depends on the intended target audience. If our users are pretty
sophisticated netfreaks, I agree that the philosophy of the system ought
to be "only do what the user asks for". But if the users are
non-computer-literate people, seeking a source of support and
understanding in this vast mess of e-mail and netnews, I feel they need
and deserve all the hand-holding and safety switches the software can
provide.

So it seems there is room and need for *different* remailers.

	Julf

Thread