1993-01-12 - multiple aliases. It doesn’t matter how many

Header Data

From: mjr@netcom.com (Matthew Rapaport)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 620dea0eea1181090bd4bff8205437d1860f03ef41bf3ae492564ee32183e5c8
Message ID: <9301112219.AA25430@netcom2.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Jan 93 16:09:41 PST

Raw message

From: mjr@netcom.com (Matthew Rapaport)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 93 16:09:41 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: multiple aliases. It doesn't matter how many

***** Karl L. Barrus <barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu> *****

>I agree with Matthew that not mailing back an ack would help cut down
>the flurry of mail, but it still results in all sorts of extra id's.

Yes, but so what? That is, why does it matter so long as all the
conversion from one to the next takes place automatically. The process
strengthens your security as well as that of any respondent. True this
may not be necessary, but under the circumstances (the whole point of
alias servers) isn't a "lets not take chances" approach best?

Lets take an extreme case (not that I'm suggesting things be implemented
this way). Imagine that every time you or anyone else originates mail
through an Aserver you are given a NEW ID (not just the first time, but
EVERY TIME). Again, so long as a relationship is maintained between all
your ID's on a given server and their corresponding ID's on the next
machine down or up the line, it shouldn't matter to you at all! After a
few years you could end up with hundreds or thousands of IDs. What
difference would it make? You don't need to know what *any* of them
are...

matthew rapaport     Philosopher/Programmer At Large      KD6KVH
           mjr@netcom.com     70371.255@compuserve.com

Thread