1993-01-20 - Re: more on security/obscurity/reality

Header Data

From: Daniel Ray <root@tnl.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7cafd2e3d440e95004aa3ea39687efd08ea6f4c58d18f028947c35a6b2433f5c
Message ID: <9301190839.AA08188@tnl.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Jan 93 16:36:16 PST

Raw message

From: Daniel Ray <root@tnl.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 93 16:36:16 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: more on security/obscurity/reality

>While what you say is certainly true, it won't survive any kind
>of detailed attack. I'm all for the sentiment, but while there
>are so many mundane things going on round about, the best way to
>remain undetected is to remain undecipherable and to make sure
>that there is enough traffic about of the same sort. Press for
>encipherment of e-mail, that way, if everybody is doing it, who's
>to know what the underworld is doing? This is especially useful
>if you are not actually interested in violent revolution. You can
>then convince the powers that be that you are not worth
>monitoring.
>
>regards
>
>Tony

this is dead on true. the whole problem of all this is our "transition
period" until encryption is matter-of-course. and the possibility that
serious opposition will actually arise to delay that day even further.

once everyone does it, most of (but not all of) the special contingencies
are unnecessary.

what I am trying to address is how things are now, and how they may change
one way, or another. and to find the best multi-solution for most of these
possibilities....until that happy day you speak of.

dan

Thread