1993-01-11 - constructed anonymous addresses

Header Data

From: Karl L. Barrus <barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dbe9cdf8237f01cfe312858bc699de035e378d8272af91f081beadc671e268d4
Message ID: <9301112102.AA23795@tree.egr.uh.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 11 Jan 93 13:03:35 PST

Raw message

From: Karl L. Barrus <barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 93 13:03:35 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: constructed anonymous addresses

Had sort of a slow day at work, so I had the chance to crank out this:

Here is a rough script which will allow you to route your mail through
the various remailers.  (However, extropia is not yet supported...I'm
working on it).  You must have the public key for each remailer on
your keyring.

Save the file, run it, and it will prompt for 1) mail, or 2) header.
Choose 1 to pick a path and send a file, choose 2 to create a header
which can be used to reach you.  I intend option 2 to be used as
follows: create a message to someone you want to remain anonymous
from, run the script, pick 2, follow the prompts, and then instruct
the script to append the header to your letter.  Then your recipient
will be able to follow the directions and respond to you.

When the script prompts for "And then to (1-3 or address)", to end the
process, type the final address you want your mail sent to.  Of
course, if you are creating a header, you'll want to type your own
address.

Further improvements include supporting extropia; and rewriting in C,
perl, awk, ksh, or any language with arrays!

I've tested this script using the remailers at alumni and rosebud,
because the turnaround time seems faster.  But there is no reason
that rebma shouldn't work as well.

--------8<--cut here-->8--------
#!/bin/sh
# support script for anonymous remailers
# allows routing a message through various remailers
# NOTE: extropia remailer not supported just yet

#find out which mode user wants
echo "Do you want to:"
echo "1. Create routing and mail a file"
echo "   This will allow you to specify the route your message will take,"
echo "   and mail a file through that route."
echo "2. Create remailing header"
echo "   This creates an appropriate remailing header, with instructions."
echo "   Include the generated file in one of your own messages and"
echo "   someone else can use it to reply to you."

read choice

#declare remailers
mail1=hal@alumni.caltech.edu
mail2=remailer@rebma.mn.org
mail3=elee7h5@rosebud.ee.uh.edu
mail4=remail@extropia.wimsey.com

#temporary files
t1=.anon1
t2=.anon2
t3=.anon3

#set up header
echo "::" > $t1
echo "Encrypted: PGP" >> $t1
echo "" >> $t1

#blank out .anon3
cat /dev/null > $t3

#print menu
echo ""
echo "1) $mail1"
echo "2) $mail2"
echo "3) $mail3"
#echo "4) $mail4"
echo ""

#get hop
echo "Mail to (1-3): "
read to

#convert from number to address
if [ $to = "1" ]
then
  to=$mail1
elif [ $to = "2" ]
then
  to=$mail2
else
  to=$mail3
fi
firsthop=$to

notdone=true
#begin loop
while [ $notdone ]
do
#find out remailing request
	echo "And then to (1-3 or address): "
	read rto

	if [ $rto = "1" ]
	then
	  rto=$mail1
	elif [ $rto = "2" ]
	then
	  rto=$mail2
	elif [ $rto = "3" ]
	then
	  rto=$mail3
	fi

	echo "::" > $t2
	echo "Request-Remailing-To: $rto" >> $t2
	echo "" >> $t2

#	echo "remailing to $rto; encrypted for $to"
	pgp -ea $t2 $to 2> /dev/null
	cat $t1 $t2.asc >> $t3

	if [ $rto = $mail1 -o $rto = $mail2 -o $rto = $mail3 ]
	then
	  to=$rto
	else
	  notdone=""
	fi
done

if [ $choice = "1" ]
then
#now include message
  echo "Message to include? "
  read msg
  if [ ! -f $msg ]
  then
    echo "$msg not found"
    exit 1
  fi

  cat $msg >> $t3
  elm -s "anonymous mail" $firsthop < $t3
else
  echo "Append to file: "
  read msg
  echo "--------8<--cut here-->8--------" >> $msg
  cat $t3 >> $msg
  echo "" >> $msg
  echo "<To reply, save everything below the \"cut here\" marks above" >> $msg
  echo "<into another file.  Type your reply here (below the blank " >> $msg
  echo "<line three lines above!) and mail to $firsthop" >> $msg
fi

rm -rf $t1 $t1.asc $t2 $t2.asc

| Karl L. Barrus                    |
| barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu (NeXTMail) |