1993-01-24 - Re: PGP on BBS

Header Data

From: david.brooks@cutting.hou.tx.us (David Brooks)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f082a890b6cf44dd4f12e761f51784ad155f82d4f8f7775f9a5e6fa1c628f112
Message ID: <10497.143.uupcb@cutting.hou.tx.us>
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Jan 93 18:34:09 PST

Raw message

From: david.brooks@cutting.hou.tx.us (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 93 18:34:09 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PGP on BBS

   Eric Hughes speaks:

EH> The solution is cooperative processing systems, where both the host
EH> and the terminal cooperate to perform some task.  Unfortunately, there
EH> is precious little software infrastructure to support such a
EH> development.  Terminal programs on PC's are still for the most part
EH> acting as dumb terminals, with the notable exception of file transfer
EH> protocols such as zmodem.

EH> I believe that cooperative communication software will be necessary
EH> for widespread use of cryptography--not just pleasant, but a
EH> precondition to large scale deployment.

   You've hit the nail on the head here, Eric. If public key encryption is
REALLY going to be for the masses, we are going to need something like
this... But it seems I'm going to have to code the damned thing myself,
eh? Anyone want to help?

EH> Onward.

   Indeed!

David
david.brooks@cutting.hou.tx.us

 * Q-Blue v0.7 [NR] *
----
| The Cutting Edge BBS (cutting.hou.tx.us)    A PCBoard 14.5a system  |
| Houston, Texas, USA    +1 713 466 1525          running uuPCB       |