1993-01-15 - pax shutdown

Header Data

From: BRIAN MCBEE <opac!brian%OPAC.osl.or.gov@CS.ORST.EDU>
To: CYPHERPUNKS@TOAD.COM
Message Hash: fc8232a85dda7ebb2416318c2ffb64065ee96a51c0d301cc722813bc511e2dc2
Message ID: <00966A38.A1B67300.22879@OPAC.OSL.OR.GOV>
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Jan 93 08:43:25 PST

Raw message

From: BRIAN MCBEE <opac!brian%OPAC.osl.or.gov@CS.ORST.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 93 08:43:25 PST
To: CYPHERPUNKS@TOAD.COM
Subject: pax shutdown

> I agree that the PAX shutdown is an ominous development.  Nobody's
> internet access is perfectly free from the kinds of pressures that were
> brought against PAX.  What steps can we take to keep the same thing from
> happening to us?
>
> I agree with Karl that a big step would be to spread remailers more widely.
> Eric Hollander is running three remailers in addition to the ones Karl
> mentioned - hh@soda.berkeley.edu, and two other machines which I don't
> have handy.  They don't encrypt but they forward, and that's good enough
> for many purposes.
>
> Some time back, there was mention that the owner of the commercial Portal
> system would run one.  Could someone follow up on that who knows him?
>
> PGP is gradually disappearing from U.S. sites where it used to be
> available.  Recently it got taken off the EFF area on Compuserve.
> We can't afford to see encryption and remailers be slowly strangled.
>
> Hal
> 74076.1041@compuserve.com

If it turns out that pressure to shut down really did come from the official
net hierarchy, there are other places on the net which should be nearly
immune from that kind of pressure.  There are thousands of UUCP sites which
predate the Internet.  And anyone getting their connectivity from one of the
commercial providers (PSI, UUNET, ANS, etc.) can theoretically use those
networks for whatever purposes they choose.

----- Brian McBee ----- (503)378-4276 ----- brian@opac.osl.or.gov -----
----- Oregon State Library, State Library Building, Salem, OR 97310 -----
                   Plan globally, attack locally

Thread