1993-02-02 - Re: turning on yourself during car stops

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (Bill Stewart +1-908-949-0705 wcs@anchor.ho.att.com)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1854873f6274d646e0cc2b843bd50f4c53079891aed7af891f2f9abd1f076aca
Message ID: <9302020136.AA03738@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Feb 93 17:37:37 PST

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (Bill Stewart +1-908-949-0705 wcs@anchor.ho.att.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 93 17:37:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: turning on yourself during car stops

> >From: Peter Honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu>

> >i believe there is a special exception related to automobiles
> >that makes them subject to search without a warrant when the
> >driver is placed under arrest.  but check with a lawyer.

Just be sure not to get out of your car -  there are different rules that apply
to cars without occupants in them, though your state's rules may  vary.

But it's much better to avoid getting to that stage.  Be friendly in your
non-cooperation, and if a hostile-looking  cop wants to see whether your papers are in order, give him your license,  registration, insurance papers,
*and* your ACLU card ("Don't leave home without it").

As a friend of mine says to cops, "If you've got a legal right to search
my car, I'm sure you will, but if you need my permission, you don't have it."

Of course, this is no longer really cypherpunks material, just regular punks :-)

			Bill Stewart, somewhere in New Jersey

Thread