1993-02-21 - Re: Trapdoors

Header Data

From: henry strickland <strick@osc.versant.com>
To: hughes@soda.berkeley.edu (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: 277d4923a7b4dd73868d6333ccf49bd317bf1059731af39fc7911fd15420e74a
Message ID: <9302212232.AA12362@versant.com>
Reply To: <9302212154.AA02012@soda.berkeley.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-02-21 22:28:36 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Feb 93 14:28:36 PST

Raw message

From: henry strickland <strick@osc.versant.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 93 14:28:36 PST
To: hughes@soda.berkeley.edu (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Re: Trapdoors

# From cypherpunks-request@toad.com Sun Feb 21 14:14:43 1993
#
# Does anybody have a good idea what applications this is useful for?

The old CDC CYBER machines had population count in its instruction
set.  Perhaps some scientific-type programmers would know what they
used it for.  The CYBER did not have a lot of instructions -- they
were pretty practical about what they put in.   i.e.  != VAX

# My first thought is that it's a very quick way to do linear error
# detection codes, since this instruction directly computes the Hamming
# weight of a code word.

That was always my assumption.  Anyway, it's not unprecedented.

						strick
						strick@osc.versant.com

Thread