1993-02-23 - Some questions

Header Data

From: Nickey MacDonald <i6t4@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca>
To: cypherpunks list <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 3cfc4b3ef508f041db0baf9b1bcd4aeb8d551827e5422035d9b5fb7e80be3b06
Message ID: <Pine.3.05.9302230950.A13475-b100000@jupiter>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Feb 93 06:07:48 PST

Raw message

From: Nickey MacDonald <i6t4@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 93 06:07:48 PST
To: cypherpunks list <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Some questions

{I have been reading the list for about a week now...  This is my first
post...  I hope this is not a FAQ...}

I am looking for solutions to a situation that people may find familiar...
Say you have a text file that contains sensitive configuration data (in a
particular case, the cross-index of anonymous ids and real mail addresses)
taht you want a program to be able to read, but you want it stored in
encrypted format.  (Which means you will decrypt it each time you read it,
and rewrite it in encrypted form when needed.  It will only exist in
decrypted in the computers RAM.)  Is there some sort of scheme that will
allow this, without having to have a user present to enter the password at
startup (a pain if its supposed to be an unattended program, such as a
remailer) or having the password compiled into the program...

Also, I have seen a number of references to DC nets...  I must confess I
have never heard of the term before...  can someone enlighten me?

---
Nick MacDonald
i6t4@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca

Thread