1993-02-20 - Back-Door Man

Header Data

From: deltorto@aol.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a78cd1f9a9571703840aa79b82ef1af63634ae746b1e098c8bd122bd16a9d74b
Message ID: <9302200128.tn02698@aol.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Feb 93 01:43:45 PST

Raw message

From: deltorto@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 93 01:43:45 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Back-Door Man

>> How do we know the proposed legislation wasn't just a smoke
>> screen?  Isn't it possible that the Feds have already compromised
>> Intel or MicroSoft?  Is there some way to be sure that the new
>> 486 chip running your computer isn't recording each PGP or RSA
>> private key you generate?
>>
>>      S a n d y                         ssandfort@attmail.com

Sheesh. I guess you just have to stand back and admire this level of
paranoia.
Can we establish a 'Cypherpunks Paranoia Achievement Award' for this?

Shortly thereafter Sandy sez: "Hey, wait a minnit... just _why are you voting
for ME?"

Technically, Kelly G.'s suggestion notwithstanding, I think this is
definitely a computationally-impossible task. However: in a very specific
circumstance, such as some foreign spook who's already under surveillance by
the feds, I suppose it's possible to create a one-time special chip that
might record keystrokes (or transmit them to a van, etc.) and then be
replaced *physically* with a replacement. The intelligence necessary to
coordinate an operation such as this, however, is pretty involved.
Personally, since I have NO interest in offing the President, I doubt they're
gonna bother with me.

Not only that, but also this: imho, it's more than _probable_ that the Feds
have compromised both Intel & Microsoft, but, as the old Polish saying goes:

     "You can put your shoes in the oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits."

   d-d-dave

Thread