1993-02-25 - Re: a project for those who like it

Header Data

From: mark@coombs.anu.edu.au (Mark)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aadf670537b715377691ab9926c924379ec85b00e06963f9190daf4d0d1caf48
Message ID: <9302250704.AA05982@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Feb 93 23:05:32 PST

Raw message

From: mark@coombs.anu.edu.au (Mark)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 93 23:05:32 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: a project for those who like it

>I have been working on an idea or a secure chat system for internet and have
>up with some ideas.  The concept is to runa server(a single server) to
>process the chat for up to say 50 users(more may lag you to death) using
>public key to secure the system.  The server would be on an internet machine
>and the client would be on the users home pc.  We use the home pc concept
>to avoid transporting raw data(unencrypted) over internet and phone lines.
>The basic gist (in a pseudo pseudocode) is this:

>Tell me what you think.  People are already wrking on this project, but many
>more may be needed to bring it to its completion.  Since I am not
>the IP programmer from hell, at this point I am doing the pc client.

Hmmm, are you talking about '4m'? That is a similarly goaled communication
system as well. Currently it exists in plain text format, between the clients
and the (as of today, five) servers. The system has always been destined to
have encryption built into it, from triple des and PK for the key
transactions.

To get into it quickly ftp /pub/misc/4m-212.tar.Z from ftp.santafe.edu and
install. It runs on suns, bsd, aix and similar. I have an hpux port done by
someone if it is required.

It would seem smarter to develop an already existing and debugged instead of
reinventing the wheel.

Contact chasin@santafe.edu for details.

Mark
mark@coombs.anu.edu.au