1993-02-22 - Re: Anon bug

Header Data

From: jthomas@kolanut.mitre.org (Joe Thomas)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b0e6fe92635e653d311a1e4ecbaf15813792de962fa49905df40296c027d5a7f
Message ID: <9302222129.AA02099@kolanut>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Feb 93 13:31:55 PST

Raw message

From: jthomas@kolanut.mitre.org (Joe Thomas)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 93 13:31:55 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anon bug

an5877@anon.penet.fi (deadbeat) wrote:
>> I believe I have uncovered a serious bug in the Finnish anonymous
>> remailer, one that allows me to piece together anonymous id's and
>> actual email addresses.
>>

>> I'm reluctant to publish the details here, but I'll explain how it
>> works if you send me your email address.

To which Julf replied:

>Hmm. How about letting me know about it so that I have a chance to
fix
>it?

I'm worried that the "serious bug" might be that the system won't
prevent the gullible from mailing "deadbeat" their e-mail addresses
through penet.  Once they've done that, he can "piece together" their
anonymous IDs and email addresses quite easily.

I hope I'm wrong about this, though...

Joe
(Who is not writing virii at the MITRE Corporation... not doing much
at all, really)

Thread