1993-02-07 - Re: White Mail

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: deltorto@aol.com
Message Hash: bcbc6e87bdb8585c8d85eec228b910b1c1e81804adc0bc037d1fff7f297d59e1
Message ID: <9302070216.AA22433@servo>
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Feb 93 18:17:30 PST

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 93 18:17:30 PST
To: deltorto@aol.com
Subject: Re: White Mail

>E-MAIL RULING MAY HAMPER CLINTON ADMINISTRATION

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if they start using PGP? After all,
the Federal government has full rights to use RSA. (Dunno about IDEA).

I have mixed feelings on this issue. On the one hand, the people have
a right to know how government authority is being exercised. On the other
hand, even people in government have privacy rights. And if you mandate
that their email is a public record, then they will just find other ways
to have private conversations.

Maybe the real answer lies in not giving them so much power in the first place.

Phil

Thread