1993-02-28 - Re: more ideas on anonymity

Header Data

From: jordan@imsi.com (Jordan Hayes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dbfe4c6fbbf289449f725e868a259a7e7771c204b4389c0957f724bd9000c5f0
Message ID: <9302281608.AA14296@IMSI.COM>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Feb 93 09:22:36 PST

Raw message

From: jordan@imsi.com (Jordan Hayes)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 93 09:22:36 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: more ideas on anonymity

	From thug@phantom.com Sat Feb 27 20:56:03 1993

	Try telling this to the person behind the counter when you're
	trying to rent a car, rent a hotel room for the night, or rent
	a mailbox for 6 months.

These are examples of transactions that are *ongoing* and thus are
*not* satisfied by an initial cash payment.  When you rent a car or
hotel room, the transaction does not finish until you have left and the
room has been inspected.  At my mailbox service, I can incur charges
for all kinds of things (receiving COD packages, receiving faxen, etc.)
during the term of my rent.

	The thing is, they never ask for ID if you're paying by credit
	card since they assume the credit card is enough proof of who
	you are.

No, the credit card says they can recover damages if you trash the room.

/jordan

Thread