1993-02-22 - Re: Mac HD Cypher…

Header Data

From: mccoy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jim McCoy)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e061eda1e6c5e690626deaf8c5c090863412ac8c11716158e38596af22e99e9f
Message ID: <9302222327.AA14360@tramp.cc.utexas.edu>
Reply To: <9302222248.AA25236@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-02-22 23:28:18 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Feb 93 15:28:18 PST

Raw message

From: mccoy@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Jim McCoy)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 93 15:28:18 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Mac HD Cypher...

Jumping Jack Flash <DDLEEDS@VM.CMP.ILSTU.EDU> writes:

> Does anyone know of a way or program that can completely encrypt a hard
> drive on a macintosh computer so that only the person that knows the key
> can decrypt it?

That depends, do you want to be able to use the drive once it has been
encrypted (e.g. decrypt on-demand for necessary files) or do you just want
to turn the whole thing into a lump of jumbled bits that must be decrypted
en masse to be usable again?  If you are looking for the former then I
believe that there is a product out there called FileLock or something
similar that will let you encrypt fils, folders, and entire drives in a
method that requires a password to gain access again.  I think that it also
does this "on demand" so that you can have an encrypted file that asks you
for the password when you pull it up in your word processor (or a folder
that asks for the password when you want to get a file from it), etc.  If
you just want to lock the whole drive then I believe that there is a DES
package that will let you crunch a while drive.

> I am looking for a crypt that is completely IMPENETRABLE!!!

No such beast exists.

jim

Thread