1993-02-12 - wired & batch file

Header Data

From: Karl Barrus <elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ff3f2834af3cd4cfaf799d95f09572428cbe01674f20ce4a8e68da8d15640218
Message ID: <199302120441.AA07645@Menudo.UH.EDU>
Raw Date: Thu, 11 Feb 93 20:42:11 PST

Raw message

From: Karl Barrus <elee9sf@Menudo.UH.EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 93 20:42:11 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: wired & batch file

Cypherpunks,
	Douglas Sinclair has notified me of a slight bug/irritation
with the anonmail.bat script for MSDOS.  When run with no parameters,
file errors are reported since the batch file attempts to delete
nonexistent files.  So I fixed that and have submitted the revised
version to the ftp site.
	Also, in unix I can redirect stderr to /dev/null ( 2> /dev/null).
Is there a way to do this in MSDOS (I can't seem to find a way).  This
would make the hopmail.bat batch file (similar to hop.mail) easier to
use since the PGP output will be suppressed.
	Finally, crypto is mentioned in WIRED magazine!  It's on the
"HYPE LIST" behind Object Oriented, Post-Modern, Raves, and ahead of
Smart Drugs.  Here is the paragraph on it (bottom of page 87):

Forty years ago cryptography wasn't even popular with mathematicians.
Now it's the hot topic on the net.  You've got the export issue,
always popular since it the [sic] NSA is the villain.  There's the
public key issue - RSA Inc. expressing concern over the public good,
not their profit margins.  Yeah right.  Now we have the
key-registration debate: Should PKC users have to register their keys?
OK, it's a bad idea, but probably a government conspiracy to eliminate
cash, as some rabid defenders of freedom are claiming.  Then there's
David Chaum, the Ted Nelson of the 90's, promoting his ingenious and
impractical crypto-schemes.  Since everyone wants to believe in nice
techno solutions to messy socio-policital problems, expect this issue
to continue its rise up the list.

So, fellow rabid defenders freedom, who is Ted Nelson?? :-)  I guess
I'm too young...

| Karl L. Barrus                    |
| elee9sf@menudo.uh.edu             | <- preferred address
| barrus@tree.egr.uh.edu (NeXTMail) |