1993-03-19 - Re: Cypher:Subject naming- SUMMARY

Header Data

From: Jim C <collins@socrates.umd.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 90782409eeb7ed80cdbee082b38e4e92c076b5dcc01940d973e15d686f09f3e1
Message ID: <9303191505.AA01177@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 19 Mar 93 07:05:22 PST

Raw message

From: Jim C <collins@socrates.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 93 07:05:22 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cypher:Subject naming- SUMMARY

Ok, here's a summary of replies regarding sorting of mail by To: fields,
or more in general, grouping all list mail together by mailing list.
Thanx to all who responded. As you can see, there are a variety of ways
to approach this problem.
All of these replys were posted to Cypherpunks already, so re-posting
is kosher.

I've cut out the extra header stuff and the PGP signatures, and edited
the messages for brevity.

From: nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Chael Hall)
Subject: Re: Cypher: Subject naming proposal
To: collins@socrates.umd.edu (Jim C)
Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com

>Can I suggest that any messages posted to cypherpunks start with "Cypher:"
>in the subject line? The mail from this list is getting mixed in with all
>my other mail, cause my newsreader (elm) can't sort on "To:" fields.
>       Does anyone else have this problem? Does this idea seem reasonable?
>JIm C.

     I use the following .forward file to make slocal "sort" my mail based
upon the contents of the .maildelivery file below.

-- $HOME/.forward --
| /usr/lib/mh/slocal -user nowhere
<EOF>

     You should use something like the following .maildelivery file to
tell slocal where to put the messages.

-- $HOME/.maildelivery --
#
# field "pattern" action "command"
#
To "cypherpunks@toad.com" file ? Mail/cypherpunks

     This will file messages directed to cypherpunks to a file in your
Elm mail directory, but leave all other messages untouched.  You have
to then choose the folder "=cypherpunks" to read those messages.

     NOTE:  You need to change the path of slocal to the appropriate
path for your system.  You can find it with the whereis -b command or
the find utility.  Am I forgetting anything?

Chael Hall

--
Chael Hall
nowhere@bsu-cs.bsu.edu, 00CCHALL@BSUVC.BSU.EDU

From: Crys Rides <crys@cave.tcp.COM>

Hall>     I use the following .forward file to make slocal "sort" my mail based
Hall> upon the contents of the .maildelivery file below.

[snip]

Hall>      NOTE:  You need to change the path of slocal to the appropriate
Hall> path for your system.  You can find it with the whereis -b command or
Hall> the find utility.  Am I forgetting anything?

Erm, only that this apparently appears to pretty much _require_ switching
mailreaders to MH.  A more transparent solution can be achieved with the
'procmail' package, available from any comp.sources.misc archive.  This
package allows rule-based filtering on message content, size, and other
factors, and can be installed workably with most mailreaders to my
knowledge, without requiring much effort.

Crys Rides

From wimsey.bc.ca!markh@wimsey.com Thu Mar 18 13:: Cypher: Subject naming propos
al

There's a program called "filter" (which I think is part of the elm
distribution) that I use to automatically route messages from different
mailing lists to separate folders, which can then be read at leisure.
Very handy!

derek

To: Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>, Jim C <collins@socrates.umd.edu>
Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com

mush will also allow filtering based on more or less whatever
you want (e.g. To: fields).

Mark
--
Mark Henderson