1993-03-02 - tapping

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9430729dd454720c42a599c8e68435ab536b40c878a519f815e51bf983cedb52
Message ID: <9303022354.AA27572@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <199303022155.AA04077@eff.org>
UTC Datetime: 1993-03-02 23:57:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Mar 93 15:57:42 PST

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 93 15:57:42 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: tapping

Phiber writes:
>Mike Watson rediscovers inductance, and the inductive tap.
>Film at 11.

Don't be so dismissive.  There is something interesting going on here,
even if it's not very complex.  This thing works with _shielded_ pair.
With twisted pair to begin with, you largely attenuate the inductive
signal.  (A very short lesson in physics: Current generates magnetic
fields.  Opposite travelling currents generate cancelling fields.
Fields do not completely cancel because the wires are not in exactly
the same place.)  Shielding a twisted pair further attenuates a
signal.

It sounds to me like it's an inductive tap with some sort of phase
locking built into it.  By the mentioning networks, it indicates to me
a digital signal.  I doubt this thing would tap a POTS line carrying
voice.

Eric

Thread