1993-03-02 - Libel UK

Header Data

From: Tony Kidson <tony@morgan.demon.co.uk>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9e228f71e6e0ff5c8204bc428f8f36d97ce601fd9a7b2a411dd03879e79126e7
Message ID: <2957@morgan.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Mon, 1 Mar 93 20:54:06 PST

Raw message

From: Tony Kidson <tony@morgan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 93 20:54:06 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Libel UK

In message <9303011958.AA24443@soda.berkeley.edu> you write:

> Perhaps Tony Kidson could tell us some of the effects of libel law in
> the UK.  The US law, which grew out of British law, seems to have gone
> in the direction of reducing the power of a libel complaint, while
> British law has done the opposite.  I can't speak for the UK, but
> those who live there could.

In the UK, We don't have a first amendment :-(

The law has developed in such a way that anybody with funds
available can silence criticism by issuing a writ.

There is much more protection for public figures. for example
Robert Maxwell, proprietor of Mirror Group Newspapers (&
Pergammon Press amongst others) robbed his companies blind.
Everybody knew that he was a crook, but nobody could say so
because he had the financial clout to silence everybody who said
so with libel writs.  The UK needs anonymous posting far more
than the US does.

Regards

Tony Kidson
| Tony Kidson     |    PGP 2.1 Key by request     | Voice +44 81 466 5127    |
| Morgan Towers,  |                               | E-Mail                   |
| Morgan Road,    |         This Space            | tony@morgan.demon.co.uk  |
| Bromley,        |          to Rent              | tny@cix.compulink.co.uk  |
| England BR1 3QE |Honda ST1100  ==*==  DoD# 0801 | 100024.301@compuserve.com|

Thread