1993-03-07 - Fw: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier

Header Data

From: “DrZaphod” <ncselxsi!drzaphod@ncselxsi.netcom.com>
To: CypherPunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aae2d4f58d63e8f760acfd8ebe4973acaf74343cd3ca9cf686f29fd45dfabc3d
Message ID: <18782.drzaphod@ncselxsi>
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Mar 93 15:05:31 PST

Raw message

From: "DrZaphod" <ncselxsi!drzaphod@ncselxsi.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 93 15:05:31 PST
To: CypherPunks@toad.com
Subject: Fw: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier

-- Thought Cypherpunks would benefit from this.. Odd that we didn't
   get it first. --
------------------------------
From: netcom!mcg@netcomsv.netcom.com (Tiamat the Chaos-Ocean)
Sat, 6 Mar 93 23:05:03 -0800
To: sfraves@soda.berkeley.edu (SFRaves)
Subject: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier

I thought this might be of interest to a few of us SFRavers, given the
recent threads on privacy, virtual culture and the law, etc.  This is
taking place TOMORROW (Sunday), and I'd say there's an 80% chance I'll
be there -- I'd encourage as much SFR participation as possible.

------------  QUOTED FLYER FOLLOWS ------------

        Jacking In:  A Monthly Series on Cyberspace Literacy presents:

        Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier

        Computer and telecommunications technologies hold great
        promise for individuals and society.  Increased access to
        information can enhance commerce, political participation,
        community development, and public health and education.

        But, between activities of questionable legality and the
        countermeasures taken by private parties and law enforcement
        officials, these technologies are raising fundamental questions
        about privacy, property, and our freedoms of speech and assembly.

        Join us for an evening of provocative presentations by:

        BRUCE STERLING, author, journalist, editor
        MIKE GODWIN, Electronic Frontier Foundation
        JOHN DRAPER, a.k.a. Cap'n Crunch, reformed cracker
        MITCH RATCLIFFE, cofounder This!Group
        BRUCE KOBALL, Chair, Third Conference on Computers, Freedom,
                        and Privacy

        Sunday, March 7, 7 pm
        $3 - $5 sliding scale

        Modern Times Bookstore
        888 Valencia (19th/20th)    ==> a few doors down from Zanzibar
        San Francisco, CA  94110
        (415) 282-9246

         MykL G             Look to the future!      mcg@netcom.com

DrZaphod