1993-03-28 - Re: TEMPEST in a teapot

Header Data

From: Round Waffle <eggo@student.umass.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: acaa14662b44112f87b5d3b49f23943e10e99fa3b60be884ee09f48ba4eb48f3
Message ID: <9303280311.AA28562@titan.ucs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <9303272031.AA36215@hal.gnu.ai.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1993-03-28 03:12:58 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Mar 93 19:12:58 PST

Raw message

From: Round Waffle <eggo@student.umass.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 93 19:12:58 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: TEMPEST in a teapot

Possessed by The Unholy, ghoast@gnu.ai.mit.edu scrawled the following in blood:
> I've been told that the CRT is not what is generating the signals at all, rather
> that it is the CPU, and that having an LCD screen won't save you, strength of
> signal reduced or otherwise.

     Actually, it's almost entirely the cables, and somewhat the screen
(CRT, that is).  A shielded CPU box isn't going to be giving off really any
appreciable amount of RF waves, certainly not enough to read coherently.
An LCD will help, since they don't emit the same kind of signals (no CRT),
and no cables going to them.

+-   eggo@titan.ucs.umass.edu      --><--       Eat Some Paste   -+
+-          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,            -+
+-      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!        -+
+----------------- The Durex Blender Corporation -----------------+

Thread