1993-03-23 - REMAIL: Anon.penet.fi no more

Header Data

From: jthomas@coconut.mitre.org (Joe Thomas)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b13aac41e030959e088ed32214837fd7505bc85824db712ef41f2d9b66e995de
Message ID: <9303231705.AA05316@coconut>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Mar 93 09:09:00 PST

Raw message

From: jthomas@coconut.mitre.org (Joe Thomas)
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 93 09:09:00 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: REMAIL: Anon.penet.fi no more

You probably have seen this already, but it's certainly of relevance
to cypherpunks:

> Newsgroups:
comp.org.eff.talk,news.admin.policy,alt.privacy,alt.sexual.abuse.reco
very,alt.support,alt.transgendered,soc.motss
> From: julf@penet.fi (Ze Julf)
> Subject: Anon.penet.fi no more
> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1993 15:03:59 GMT
>

> The anonymous service at anon.penet.fi has been closed down.
Postings to
> [...]

> But of course this political situation is mainly caused by the
abuse of the
> network that a very small minority of anon users engaged in. This
small
> group of immature and thoughtless individuals (mainly users from US
> universities) caused much aggravation and negative feelings towards
the
> service. This is especially unfortunate considering these people
really are
> a minuscule minority of anon users. The latest statistics from the
service
> show 18203 registered users, 3500 messages per day on the average,
and
> postings to 576 newsgroups. Of these users, I have received
complaints
> involving postings from 57 anonymous users, and, of these, been
forced to
> block only 8 users who continued their abuse despite a warning from
me.

> In retrospect I realize that I have been guilty to keeping a far
too low
> profile on the network, prefering to deal with the abuse cases
privately
> instead of making strong public statements. Unfortunately I
realized this
> only a couple of days before being forced to shut down the service,
but the
> results of a single posting to alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.d gave
very
> positive results. I take full blaim for my failure to realize the
> psychological effects of a strongly stated, publicly visible
display of
> policy with regards to the abuse cases. For this I have to
apologize to the
> whole net community.
>

> On the other hand I am deeply concerned by the fact that the
strongest
> opposition to the service didn't come from users but from network
> administrators. I don't think sysadmins have a god-given mandate to
> dictate what's good for the users and what's not. A lot of users
have
> contacted me to thank me for the service, describing situations
where
> anonymity has been crucial, but I could never have imagined in my
wildest
> dreams. At the same time quite a few network administrators have
made
> comments like "I can't imagine any valid use for anonymity on the
net" and
> "The only use for anonymity is to harrass and terrorize the net".
>

> Nevertheless, I really want to apologize both to all the users on
the
> network who have suffered from the abusive misuse of the server,
and to all
> the users who have come to rely on the service. Again, I take full

Very sad, rather scary.  Sorry to hear this, Julf.

Joe

Thread