1993-03-26 - How secure is an anonomous mail-server

Header Data

From: baumbach@atmel.com (Peter Baumbach)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f15948db8fef906089f076bfc3eaaeed5f044b3e9f4c1efd4c66a9d980ac4ee4
Message ID: <9303262144.AA07992@walrus.chp.atmel.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Mar 93 13:55:59 PST

Raw message

From: baumbach@atmel.com (Peter Baumbach)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 93 13:55:59 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: How secure is an anonomous mail-server

Suppose somone wanted to compromise an anonomous mail-server.  Couldn't it
be possible without the owner of the mail-server knowing?  The attack might
consist of monitoring all traffic to and from that address.  Unless the
server waits a long and random time to forward the incoming mail, couldn't
a mapping be made of real-name/possible-anon-names?  If a users uses the
same anonomous name for long enough (2 times?) couldn't the attacker be
very confident of the mapping?  If the attacker uses the server themselves
creatively, wouldn't the task be even easier?

This seems like a simple cipher easily broken.

I am new to this, so I appologize if this is a dumb question.

Peter Baumbach
baumbach@atmel.com

Thread