1993-04-22 - AT&T/SUITS

Header Data

From: Sandy <72114.1712@CompuServe.COM>
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 29778de8b5f0ec56a2481520d66e89c65e8c7005793aaf0ed42e8adab2a2590a
Message ID: <93042218275572114.1712_FHF70-2@CompuServe.COM>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1993-04-22 18:47:22 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Apr 93 11:47:22 PDT

Raw message

From: Sandy <72114.1712@CompuServe.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 93 11:47:22 PDT
To: <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: AT&T/SUITS

             FROM THE VIRTUAL DESK OF SANDY SANDFORT
Punksters,

AT&T:  CO-CONSPIRATORS

At the last physical San Francisco meeting, I mentioned a curious
conversation I had with an AT&T representative.  I had called him
for info about the ATT Secure Phone 3600.  What I reported to the
meeting was that while the representative would not "confirm or
deny" that the 3600 had a backdoor, his demeanor suggested to me
that it did.  Now in reviewing the conversation in my memory, I
realize that what I was hearing from him was a SMUGNESS.  It had
the flavor of the cat that swallowed the canary.  He obviously
knew about the upcoming announcement.  In retrospect, I see that
he was playing with me by dropping hints such as:  "If the NSA
were to ask us to put a backdoor in the 3600, of course we would
have to cooperate."  Talk about your "secret government."  Where
are Slick Willie's "town hall meetings" when you need them?

SUITS ME

Let a hundred flowers blossom.  Those of us who wish to fight the
good fight in suits, should do so.  Likewise, those who wish to
remain long-haired, maggot-infested, dope-smoking hippies, should
follow their hearts.  I have no problem with the "Cypherpunks"
moniker.  It hasn't hurt us, and it has brought us some favorable
publicity.  I think Perry is being an alarmist.

In one point, though, Perry is right.  He said people will listen
to unconventional folks who present reasonable ideas.  But it
appears that Perry thinks our support of freedom and privacy is
somehow unreasonable in the eyes of Joe Lunchbucket.  I
respectfully disagree.  I think we represent the essence of
American values.  All we have to do is put it in terms the are
immediate and personally relevant to the average American.

For the record though, as Tim May can attest, I am bi-cultural.
I have gotten in touch with the Suit inside me.  If Cypherpunks
ever needs a spokesperson in a "dress for success" suit, I'll be
glad to volunteer.  There is one condition, however.  I will only
do it if I'm teamed with someone not in a suit; preferably with
long hair and wearing tie-dyed.  Think of the photo op!

 S a n d y
PLEASE RESPOND TO: ssandfort@attmail.com (except from CompuServe)