1993-04-12 - Re: Modem encryption proposal

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@shearson.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2bb85aba0435d604bf37aa944434bf987a0bd2844d6d36a9b41026ffe2e90ba3
Message ID: <9304121904.AA01126@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <1993Apr12.030810.5488@extropia.wimsey.bc.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-12 19:24:30 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Apr 93 12:24:30 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@shearson.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 93 12:24:30 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Modem encryption proposal

Miron Cuperman says:

> Let's talk less and do more. :)
>
> How about adding encryption to kermit and iScreen so that they may
> talk to each other in a secure manner?  I am proposing these two
> programs because they are widely portable.  kermit works on most
> Unix and MSDOS systems.  iScreen works on most Unix systems.
>
> (Note that this would solve the network/modem eavesdropping problem,
> but not the untrusted remote system problem.  The latter has no
> solution in my opinion.  You just have to trust the sysadmin.)
>
> I propose writing a link encryption library which could be usable
> in other comm and BBS programs.

A good idea, but getting the protocol right is hard -- you don't want
to put any real overhead on the line, but you also want to do error
detection and resychronization so that your cypher will run properly.
Discussing a proposal for a line protocol that has these features
would, of course, be germane to the list.

Perry

Thread