1993-04-20 - Re: Sound bite time

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2e3210dfbb10aff01f6dbd8c5089e94ac926b66d3cf8740dde2093e7275175d2
Message ID: <9304200808.AA15339@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Apr 93 01:08:21 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 93 01:08:21 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Sound bite time

Phil Karn, referring to some parallels with gun control, writes:

>I really, *REALLY* hope that this argument doesn't catch on.
>Regardless of your opinions on gun control, you have to admit that
>linking crypto to weapons saddles it with an enormous amount of
>political baggage that we simply doesn't need. And it plays right into
>the hands of those in the government who consider it as a "munition"
>for export control purposes.
>
>I think we already have plenty of strong arguments in defense of the
>right to encrypt without opening up this can of worms. It can only
>turn off a lot of people who would otherwise support us.

I agree. Mentioning guns raises too many confusing issues, including
emotional reactions, talk of private vs. public ownership, etc. Several
decades ago it might have been better received.

The compelling "sound bites" revolve around these kinds of examples:

- having to deposit copies of all your private letters with the
authorities, "in case" they need to later read them...

- not being allowed to use locks--on anything--that the government can't bypass

- recording all private conversations and escrowing the tapes, just in case
the government later wants to hear them

- video cameras in all bedrooms to allow the police to check for illegal
activities (even with proper "court orders," most people will react with
shock at this suggestion)

These are things that everyone can understand. And be shocked by. When they
realize just how similar the "key escrow" idea is to these examples, they
may get more indignant.

-Tim May
tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
W.A.S.T.E.: Aptos, CA  | black markets, smashing of governments.
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: MailSafe and PGP available.
Waco Massacre + Big Brother Wiretap Chip = A Nazi Regime

Thread