1993-04-28 - Re: REMAIL: email to usenet gateways

Header Data

From: Sy Verpunc <svp@gtoal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3bb2891769c877bde3ca39f80638fa46698fe6e60e20437e197847276176c239
Message ID: <9304270150.AA18265@pizzabox.demon.co.uk>
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Apr 93 19:29:17 PDT

Raw message

From: Sy Verpunc <svp@gtoal.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 93 19:29:17 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: REMAIL: email to usenet gateways

	Hal recently posted instructions on how to post to usenet using the
	anonymous remailers.  Here's a collection of email to usenet gateways
	I have, no doubt far from complete.

	group-name@ucbvax.berkeley.edu *
	group-name@cs.utexas.edu
	group-name@pws.bull.com
	group.name@news.demon.co.uk

Actually, the latter is group-name@demon.co.uk, and it's intended for
demon customers.  I believe they don't police this too heavily (ie they
could chop connections from non-demon sites) but if it's heavily overused
or abused there's a chance it might disappear.  These sites are *not*
anonymous remailers, in case anyone thought that.  They post under the
name presented in your mail to it, and if you forge mail the demon one
at least attaches an 'Originator:' line with the real site, and sends
a copy to the postmaster.

Generally, a service not to be abused.

The only open NNTP server I know of at the moment is sol.ctr.columbia.edu,
and it has user limits and time restrictions.  Still, it's better than none.