1993-04-07 - WB: public kiosks

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 501cce86ef04611029db1daae873c8e53da7b9b84854ed1382f49ab2c47e59a9
Message ID: <9304071943.AA27401@soda.berkeley.edu>
Reply To: <9304070100.AA23113@servo>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-07 19:46:31 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Apr 93 12:46:31 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 93 12:46:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: WB: public kiosks

I thank Marc Ringuette and Phil Karn for their comments on public
kiosks.  They remind me that public kiosks are not a panacea, and that
we need to educate others to that awareness.

Nevertheless, let us remember the econmonics of the situation.  It is
expensive to follow people around--more expensive, say, than an
illegal tap on a home phone line.  By increasing the cost of the
suppression of information, one ensures that more information, in the
aggregate, is released.

We may not be able to provide for any particular individual's privacy,
but we can take actions for which we know that we will increase the
total amount of privacy (however hard that would be to strictly
define).

Eric

Thread