1993-04-29 - Re: Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 658013436a58a86b7368cccf2922d33ffba63a61d51a289246dda373ff0e332d
Message ID: <9304291634.AA24470@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <9304290836.AA17180@netcom.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-29 16:34:53 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 09:34:53 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 09:34:53 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

[I am CCing this to Jim Bidzos at RSA.]

Timothy C. May says:
> Cypherpatriots,
>
> This is a tough posting to write. I may even be called a quisling, or even
> a sternlight!

Actually, I do not disagree with your fundamental points. Jim Bidzos
is not, fundamentally, an enemy of privacy. He's just in a difficult
position because his livelyhood comes from selling patent licenses.

If a program existed that was legal and freely distributed like RIPEM
but ran as fast as PGP and offered the "web of trust" model of PGP,
I'd use it immediately.

Perry

Thread