1993-04-12 - Real-time BBS Encryption??

Header Data

From: stig@netcom.com (Jonathan Stigelman)
To: greg@ideath.goldenbear.com
Message Hash: 6e8c96b09ff06244780589261402fdaec8c32a09d8750169c457f30228fe3ff1
Message ID: <9304120103.AA11884@netcom2.netcom.com>
Reply To: <PXBP2B1w164w@ideath.goldenbear.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-12 18:50:17 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Apr 93 11:50:17 PDT

Raw message

From: stig@netcom.com (Jonathan Stigelman)
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 93 11:50:17 PDT
To: greg@ideath.goldenbear.com
Subject: Real-time BBS Encryption??

>I haven't fussed around with offline readers much, but I'll bet it'd be
>pretty simple to add a step to the collection/.ZIP process, which would
>encrypt the whole package with some prearranged key.

that's vulnerable...it's the secret key problem.  The ELEGANT way to do
this with encription is to just make a normal ZIP file, but then build
diffie-hellman into your file downloader (zmodem).  This is also the least
work solution.

SO, since we're talking about offline mail readers...  Whats the best one
for the PC that works (or can easily be made to work) with rfc822 mail
files?  There's pcelm, which sucks...and there's mush, which is slooooow
as hell because of all the overlays.  I was writing my own, but I got
side-tracked...somebody want to save me some programming?

Thread