1993-04-30 - Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

Header Data

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 808ed10ab62b09253e9c7d2392bfb7915e250d222a4611bad5b727fe3cc33648
Message ID: <9304300220.AA18492@soda.berkeley.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 19:24:16 PDT

Raw message

From: Eric Hughes <hughes@soda.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 93 19:24:16 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

I have a few more words on this topic at this juncture.

Tim was calling for an examination of the issue; he was not, to my
reading, recommending one course of action or another.  Possibly Tim's
pancritically rationalist sensibilities have offended some.  To them I
say "Cypherpunk is not a religion."  If you cannot question your own
beliefs, you are acting in a predominantly ideological mode.  We need
no zealots here.  Please, everyone, have a bit of calm purpose and
broad-mindedness.

Reference is not advocacy.  One of the great and lasting advantages of
language over the visual is the ability to say "no," "might," "ought,"
"can," "may": the plethora of negations and conditions.  This mailing
list is not a TV channel; do not treat it as one.

I specifically request those of you who engaged the keyboard without
understanding this basic point please to reread Tim's article and to
alter and/or to retract you hasty words as appropriate.  I leave this
entirely as an exercise to the reader.

Eric

Thread