1993-04-19 - Re: Mailing list name

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: dmandl@shearson.com (David Mandl)
Message Hash: 892f1f19ba9c2b94025b2bc4485436cc0c022d38918cb72942c066fab6de5f70
Message ID: <9304191724.AA16244@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <9304191232.AA17766@tardis.shearson.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-04-19 17:25:07 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Apr 93 10:25:07 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 93 10:25:07 PDT
To: dmandl@shearson.com (David Mandl)

David Mandl says:
> > In the light of recent developments concerning government cryptography
> > initiatives, we might soon find ourselves innundated by working press.
> >
> > Given this, I think that the name "cypherpunks" produces the wrong
> > connotations -- it makes us sound like criminals when we are in fact
> > people who are interested in expanding personal privacy with
> > technology. Often, little things like this end up being of tremendous
> > importance in the long haul.
> >
> > I would propose changing the name of the mailing list to
> > "cryptoprivacy" or something similar. It denotes what we are about in
> > a way that mundane people understand better, and it portrays us in the
> > proper light -- as people struggling to improve the prospects for
> > personal freedom, not a bunch of "punks".
> >
> > Perry
>
> Perry, I'm absolutely stunned.  What next: should we all make sure we shave
> every day (women: don't forget those legs and armpits!)?  Or make tcmay remove
> the word "anarchy" and other ungood words from his .sig?

I notice, David, that you wear a tie when you come in to work in the
morning. (I happen to work with Dave.)

Why do you do this, in spite of your general dislike for imposed
standards? Because you want something out of your employer and feel
its better to put up with the minor inconvenience of wearing a tie.

Look, we can give people cryptography, or we can change their notions
of what "punk" means. Its not necessarily possible to do both at the
same time. I vote for keeping the world free, and putting up with
minor inconveniences in the meantime. I never liked "cypherpunks" in
the first place. I'm not a punk. I'm a reasonable person. Reasonable
people want the world to be free -- its not just a "punk" viewpoint.
We want people to have privacy via cryptography. Something like
"cryptoprivacy" seems like a better reflection of who we are.

Perry

Thread