1993-04-18 - Cypherpunks–Mission Statement Needed

Header Data

From: Clark Reynard <clark@metal.psu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 98f38bb0e33004249fb5b46ee1f22dc2c9e92a47e71b15658552eb339773ad89
Message ID: <9304182253.AA01388@metal.psu.edu>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Apr 93 15:04:20 PDT

Raw message

From: Clark Reynard <clark@metal.psu.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 93 15:04:20 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cypherpunks--Mission Statement Needed

CP is for Crypto Privacy, because we feel that privacy and cryptography
are now more inextricably linked than ever.  We shall likely have to
use crypto to hide our crypto.

CP is for Changing Policy, both CP policy and existing government
policy.

CP is for Conscious Paranoia.  We know and understand the issues
involved, both the political and the scientific.  We _are_ paranoid,
but we know _why_ we're paranoid, and justify it as a _rational_
response.  [The use of 'paranoia' is loose, of course, since
the strict meaning and popular meaning differ widely.]

CP is for Cypher Punks.  Cypher because not only do we use cyphers,
but in a certain sense we _are_ cyphers.  Punks?  A contemptuous term
created by those contemptuous of those who fail to pay allegiance
to the Almighty Government.  Should it be a badge of pride, or a
shameful term used for a shameful purpose?

I believe that if we are to be effective, we ought to decide on
a number of tenets which just aren't in the FAQ now.  Tim May's
.signature seems as good a place to start as any.

Methods of implentation, boat-rocking and some form of plan
will likely be necessary.  Send mail to me or to the list,
preferably to my mail address at nyx.cs.du.edu; and I will
summarize and post, stripping headers if requested and eliminating
redundant entries.  The FAQ needs to be revised, I believe, to
reflect the current crisis, and I am more than willing to help
re-write it if anyone finds it agreeable.

Thank you.

[Aside:  I appear to be getting two copies of many letters--
 if anyone makes a snide comment about multiple postings of
 articles, I'll, I'll, I'll, uh, grin and look sheepish--
 and I wonder if others have this problem; it's not a double
 sub, per se, as some letters _aren't_ doubled.

 Ah, well, it's probably nothing, just the side effects of the
 surveillance software.]

----
Robert W. Clark
rclark@nyx.cs.du.edu   PGP signature available by mail or finger