1993-04-18 - How to Block the Big Brother Proposal–Petition, fax, mail?

Header Data

From: Clark Reynard <clark@metal.psu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dd05a12ff806b35103d6ee512324c92e74bfa5eb470fecf2fd4e7e8e41d02dbb
Message ID: <9304180148.AA00469@metal.psu.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Apr 93 17:59:31 PDT

Raw message

From: Clark Reynard <clark@metal.psu.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 93 17:59:31 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: How to Block the Big Brother Proposal--Petition, fax, mail?

I've looked into the issue a little more.

I think it's probably the most important cypherpunk issue.

Perhaps it _is_ time to write the White House.  But I think
individual emailed letters to the White House ought to be combined
with some sort of petition, carefully drafted, and sent by
(telegram/fax/snailmail) and signed by everyone we can get, copied
as one of those mailer files like shareware uses for registration,
so that anyone can print it out, sign it and stamp it.

Though individually-written letters would have a greater impact,
the sheer volume of mail achievable by a large crosspost
(I don't like massive crossposts, but one is necessary.)  of the
mailer, even if only .1% of the readership considers it worth
doing.

In addition, individual letters to government officials of note,
in particular Representative Rohrbacker (anyone have an email/
snailmail address?), Lloyd Bentsen and anyone else who potentially
could have an interest.

Does anyone have any specific input about what ONE person could
do to fulfill his part of the obligation to block this lame Nazi bullshit?

Again, I think a petition would be a good idea, but getting it signed
by everyone would be difficult, and signing it electronically via
PGP might be considered just a _mite_ provocative, like making a
peace offering to William Bennett by offering him a toke off a
J.

Any input?
----
Robert W. Clark