1993-05-03 - Re: PGP

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <pmetzger@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1142c5844dc3ac87f0005040e0e6280391abfb30b180f6d6033bd3d9a8ef1352
Message ID: <9305031702.AA19444@snark.shearson.com>
Reply To: <01GXMXWJVE4Y95NBR5@delphi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1993-05-03 17:03:26 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 3 May 93 10:03:26 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <pmetzger@lehman.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 93 10:03:26 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: PGP

HARUP16@delphi.com says:
> 	I think what Matt was trying to get at is that privacy should be free
> The day that I feel the need to have to pay $100 to ensure that my business
> is nobody's business but my own is the day I leave this country for a nice
> outlet free desert island.

Nothing is free. Food isn't free. Clothing isn't free. Places to live
aren't free. Computers to run crypto sofware are not free. There is no
reason on earth that privacy should be free.

This is not to say that privacy needs to be expensive. However, it is
to say that we do not yet live in a communist society. People DO
deserve to get rewarded for their work if they wish to be. Phil
Zimmerman and others have very kindly donated their work to the public
-- but we should not forget that they were in no way obligated to be
as nice as they were.

.pm

Thread