1993-05-18 - macpgp question

Header Data

From: Rusty Hoover <rusty@Panix.Com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1d872adbaa1dd786e72986de32f3232429e92e959d4119173f4b5400cc685d98
Message ID: <199305182301.AA28005@sun.Panix.Com>
Raw Date: Tue, 18 May 93 16:01:56 PDT

Raw message

From: Rusty Hoover <rusty@Panix.Com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 93 16:01:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: macpgp question

Hi.  Can anyone answer a question about MacPGP?

My MaccPGP 2.2 seems to have developed a curious problem.

I'm using it on a Mac Classic with system software 6.07.

Both yesterday and today, I received a message from a friend,
encrypted with my public key.

When I downloaded this message from my Unix account to my Mac, it
appeared on my screen as an MS Word icon.  (MS Word is the word processing
program I use.)

I launched MacPGP, and selected "Open/Decrypt" from the file menu, and
up came the box with the list of files to choose from.

I chose the just-downloaded message, and then, in the PGP message area,
PGP gave me the following message:

	"File is encrypted. Secret key is required to read it.
	This message can only be read by:

		keyID:  xxx

	You do not have the secret key needed to decrypt this file."

But the key ID number listed **is** in fact MY valid, working key ID !!
Would anyone have any suggestions about why this is happening?
Thanks, enormously, in advance.

  Rusty Hoover     |  PGP 2.2 public key  |  Too much time, so little to do ...
  rusty@panix.com  |  by finger & e-mail  |  no, reverse that ...